Usually I don't mention any products, but when I commented on fonts and the trouble I have with them, someone was kind enough to tell me about The Font Thing. I installed it and have used it. The link is for a free download from the developer. Click on the Zipped Install set, to download the program. Than you will have to unzip the file, open the file and click on the Setup file.
The programs automatically picks up all the fonts you have installed each time it opens so it requires no maintenance, such as adding new fonts, or removing old ones.
- Now open the program, it should only take a moment to open,
- on the left a column with a list of all your installed fonts, select a font you may want to use.
- On the right a screen it provides a preview of the font selected. You may replace the text above the preview or the font size on the slider on the bottom of the screen.
- The best part however is in the left screen you can put together collections. Just above the installed fonts, click the second tab labeled "collections". In the top window right click>new, and name your new collection. Example "Disney", "Grunge", "Script", etc.
- It may take some time to add all the fonts you already have installed into a collection. But if you do it as you install new fonts, the frustration of locating them again will disappear. Click on the tab labeled "Installed", pick the font, right click> add it to a collection> select the collection appropriate.
- Now you can open the Font Thing and use your "collections" with any program that you are using to assist you in locating the font desired. If you are doing a layout for that dirty boy and want a grungy font, look in your Grunge Collection and pick a font you want to use. You will than use the font name to locate it Photoshop and type your text.